The former crystal glassworks furnaces, now Château de la Verrerie, Le Creusot.
©The former crystal glassworks furnaces, now Château de la Verrerie, Le Creusot.|Oscara Photographe, Creusot Montceau Tourime
The Cristallerie Royale du Creusot MontceauAn industry now extinct

Gourdon church

Le Creusot was born of the arts of fire at the end of the 18th century. Alongside the foundry, the industry first flourished around crystal.
The mining of Montcenis coal from 1769 onwards led to the creation of the Royal Foundry at Le Creusot in 1781. At the same time, the fashion for lead crystal, which had originated in England, spread to European courts and wealthy circles.

At the time of the Manufacture Royale

The young Manufacture des Cristaux de la Reine, located in Sèvres, near Paris, looking for a place where coal would be plentiful and cheap, decides to come to Le Creusot. A large U-shaped building was erected on the heights above the foundry to house workshops, warehouses, administration and workers’ quarters. Nearby, two conical brick halls housed the furnaces.

Luxury, detail and meticulous artistry

The beauty of Le Creusot crystals

The home of the blacksmiths

In the early 1830s, the Le Creusot crystal works ran into difficulties and was eventually sold by its owners. In 1832, it was bought by Baccarat and Saint-Louis, who decided to repatriate all production to eastern France. The Creusot glass and crystal industry died out.

The buildings were used to house miners and foundry workers until they were bought out in 1837 by the Schneider brothers, the new owners of the forges. Eugène Schneider decided to make it his home in Le Creusot. Work was then gradually undertaken to transform the former crystal works into a prestigious residence, which took the name of Château de la Verrerie.


A museum

Today, the Château de la Verrerie is home to the Musée de l’Homme et de l’ Industrie, which presents visitors with the history of the region’s industrial development. The permanent exhibition focuses on the manufacture of crystal, and representative objects illustrate the know-how, quality and variety of products once made at the Le Creusot crystal works.

Cristallerie Royale in three key dates


The Fonderie Royale is founded at Le Creusot. At the time, the fashion for lead crystal was arriving straight from England and seducing the French aristocratic courts.


The Cristallerie experienced its first difficulties, and was eventually sold by its owners.


Eugène Schneider decides to make the crystal works his home in Le Creusot. He gave the building a second life, transforming it from a crystal glassworks into a prestigious residence.

Not to be missed